bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Strange things in the world
Strange things in the world
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:51    Post subject: Strange things in the world Reply with quote

"Bend It Like Beckham" became a success all over the world. The biggest roles in the film were played by an Indian/British woman and a British woman.

Both act okay, not fantastically good but you believe in them. Both are reasonably pretty. Both are quite young.

One become a super star and gets to play parts in big films, the other one got a part in "ER".

What is the difference between them? I would even argue that Parminder Nagra is a better actress than Keira Knightley. The only difference I can see is the latter is white, but Nagra isn't.

I think the world is fucked up and it's so cliché that the white Brit became a star and the other one didn't.

Love & Peace
che

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not the british film industry, it's hollywood, + hollywood generally doesn't like asians.

the british film industry is actually making massive improvement on showing the multi-racial society in britain. east is east was quite a breakthru film, as was my beautiful launderette (which i believe showed a gay indian fella - could be wrong)

so there you are. the world isn't fucked up,
just america.

x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isn't it America that has put her in ER?

It's the world mate.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Nagra probably would have become a big Bollywood star and Keira would have been laughed out of there.

Anyway, the whole world really must be totally fucked up when Setareh says "fuck". Wink

Exclamation
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone asked her what she wants to do?

who says she wants to go hollywood and be in loadsa shit films.

maybe she wants to be an actress, not a film star.

mx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

ER hardly constitutes failure anyway does it?..its huge...didnt do george clooney any harm...
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. She might not want to be in crap films like Keira Knightley but I don't think she would've had high chances of it even if she did want to.
Also, "ER" isn't where you go when you want to be a serious actress...even though it beats "Pirates Of The Caribbean".

B. Of course she hasn't failed, and she shouldn't, but comparing the two, who got their success from the same source...I'm not surprised at all the white girl reaches more commercial success...but you want to believe the world isn't that predictble.

C. The Bollywood thing, it's probably (unsure) not true. Sadly, in many countries in the third world the west is very much the mold. People want to be white and look European. The discrimination isn't directed at westerners but at others from east.
But of course Nagra would not have trouble breaking Bollywood if she sang and danced etc.

D. It took Clooney years to become the filmstar he has, at first when he quit "ER" he wasn't that successful.

Another thing, usually when 'ethnic' people do each success they seldom get to play a role of an individual, they often have to play the 'ethnic diversity charachter'. That bugs me.

Love & Peace
Dubya - T

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you looking for problems where there probably isn't one?
This sort of behaviour worries me, it's how witch hunts start.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 08:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think it's not a racist world?

I don't see the relation between this and witch hunts.

Love & Peace
Dubya - T

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither do I actually! I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that.

I do stand by my looking for problems that aren't there comment though.

Yes, it is a racist world. Just look at the trouble in Birmingham recently which proved that "white" people don't need to be involved. Whenever you get groups of different people there will be an element of tension or trouble. This is made worse when "the chips are down" so to speak.
Look at Bosnia where friends and neighbours of more than 20 years were getting each other killed over differing religions.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just another angle of racism.

And I had happened to see 5 minutes of ER the night before that post and seriously asked myself, how is Keira any better?

Love & Peace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 14:36    Post subject: dRd innocently asks... Reply with quote

who's the bigger 'star' in India?
John Mc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Keira Knightley really that famous and successful? She's only been in about 3 films and her most recent one, Domino, flopped massively.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 09:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't even heard of "Domino".

That could be argued but she's famous, she's been given the chance...the fact that she isn't such a great actress is her problem.

Love & Peace
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 02:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

che wrote:
so there you are. the world isn't fucked up,
just america.

Actually, Indians and Asians are gaining public respect here, as well as political power. As far as pop culture though, they're still on the margins, these are mainly professional and political gains. As a contrast, Americans are fine with having African Americans dominate pop culture, but refuse to accord them any respect in professional or political arenas. So if you're Indian or Japanese or something, Americans will let you be the physician to their sons/daughters. The way they see it, at least you're not black (or, increasingly, Middle Eastern). However, they'll tolerate Beyonce on the radio and TV, but would never help her attend medical school or let her look after their children.

this country is a fucking mess. But there's nothing simple about it. And racism is a global problem that shouldn't be broad-brushed.

[this has been a communique from the people's republic of america]

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3