bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Re-evaluating Totti
Re-evaluating Totti
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 08:18    Post subject: Re-evaluating Totti Reply with quote

I didn't like the man because...

a. He plays for Roma
b. He's rude, aggressive and doesn't seem too friendly

Besides that he's never proven to have any kind of brain up there.

However, I read this week that he refused to join in some olympic ceremony (carrying the torch) because they wanted him to do it along with Paolo Di Canio.

Di Canio is openly fascist yet both the media and his opponents seem to accept it. I've seen features done on him where they never pose any difficult questions to him about his views that he openly expresses at the stadium (not that I oppose freedom of speech but I would think these kind of beliefs would at least face more opposition).

At the same time they complain Lazio fans are racist and it cannot be controlled.
I'm impressed that somebody finally does something...and frankly didn't think it'd be Totti.

Love & Peace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 09:03    Post subject: dRd ponders... Reply with quote

maybe it's just coz Totti and Di Canio play for local rivals?

well, did he say why he refused?
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

He apparently (he didn't tell me so I have to say apparently) called the organisers and said he could do it at another time, without Di Canio. He's specifically said his problem is Di Canio and his views.

Love & Peace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 14:07    Post subject: dRd sayz Reply with quote

good stuff.

hey, doesn't di Canio play on the right wing as well? Wink
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA!

L&P
Melz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 16:37    Post subject: Re: Re-evaluating Totti Reply with quote

Setareh Juventina wrote:
He's rude, aggressive and doesn't seem too friendly
Besides that he's never proven to have any kind of brain up there.

Those are his good points!

I've always rated Totti. When playing Pro Evolution Soccer on the Playstation, he's always my first signing. Just to see "Doncaster Rovers" with Totti and Viduka up front always makes me giggle.
F-H

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totti's a great player in reality.

And I also agree with Melz, he's always ace on ProEvolution too.

Roma over Lazio every time...
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I luv Totti.

And Roma are ace ace ace. According to my guide to Italian footie clubs and their political allegiances Roma are acer still 'cos they join...

Torino
Internazionale
Bologna
Fiorentina
Atalanta

as clubs who's supporter groups historically had and in some cases still have stong left wing allegiences.

On such things my footie allegiances are decided!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 13:34    Post subject: dRd ponders... Reply with quote

I thought di Canio denied making a fascist salute not that long ago? Claiming it was just the way the camera caught him saluting the Lazio fans
Confused
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Di Canio's denied it because that salute's apparently illegal in Italy (was just told by an Italian that it is).

Btw, I never claimed Totti is not a good player, cos he has always been, it's just as a person I've been doubtful. Of course, I don't think he's as good a player as Roma fans do but that's another story.

TTLC, you missed the most left of the left, Livorno.
I thought Inter's current owner was a bit more left, not the actual fans. Oh Well.
And Torino fans are babies really...the grudge they hold over Juventus for buying Baggio 15 years ago is childish. I'm not saying that cos I support Juve, don't really see Torino as competition.

Love & Peace
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just local rivalry, of course Torino fans don't like Juventus.
Juventus are a huge club who can buy almost any player that they want, whereas Torino is just a "little" Serie B club with very limited funds - if I was a Torino fan I wouldn't like Juventus either. Laughing

But well, I don't even have any kind of a favourite team in the Italian league, so I don't really care so much what happens in Serie A. I'm always hoping that one of the smaller clubs win it though, but I can't see that happening, I think that Serie A is even more unbalanced than Premier League is now.

I've never liked Totti... just can't stand the dirty idiot. He apparently has a lot of talent, even though he's always been quite poor when I've seen him play, and he never does well for Italy.

I liked Paolo Di Canio when he played in England, I had no idea about all this nazi stuff, but I'll try to keep politics and football away from each other, so I don't care so much.

And shouldn't this be in the FOOTBALL! thread, by the way? Wink

Exclamation
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not a thread about Totti as a player or how he did in a game, but rather how he is as a human being.

I'm not sure you can seperate politics from things that easily. Sure, I can live with the fact that most of my favourite players probably vote to the right (because they want to keep their sweet cash). But I can't just say 'oh well Di Canio has opinions I find very wrong but that's okay, he is funny and plays well'...just can't...

Love & Peace
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...

Paolo Di Canio says now that he is a fascist but not a racist. He also "doesn't condone violence or any sort of racial hatred". (I thought that that's what fascism is all about, but what do I know...) Apparently the nazi salute is just "targeted to his supporters".

Well, I'm no fascist, but is this a good enough reason to give someone a €10 000 fine and a one-match ban? I'm all for free speech and stuff, so if someone wants to be a fascist then that's their own (stupid) decision, but if you tell them that they're not allowed to be fascist, then that's just kind of dangerous.

Exclamation
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about free speech but at the same time, what he does hurts others so I'm not bothered if he'd banned/penalised. My guess is they mostly did it to try and stop racism in football.

Here people are trying to make it clean and a 'star player' ruins everything.

I know what I just said is a bit hypocritical, but I'm speaking with heart, not brains.

Love & Peace
John Mc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a rule that you're not allowed to make any political statements or gestures during a football match, I presume that's what the charged Di Canio with. That's why Robbie Fowler got fined (and maybe suspended, i can't remember) a few years for wearing a t-shirt supporting the Liverpool dockers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2