bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - chrimbo!
chrimbo!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 21:06    Post subject: discoRdance shites, er, writes: Reply with quote

Setareh Juventina wrote:
A. some black people mind the term nigger, so not using it is okay by me. The thing is we can't understand what it's like so it's not in our place to judge.

Of course people not of African ancestry (was that PC enough? too PC?!) can understand being subjected to racism. But of course it's not just being politically correct to take exception to the word 'nigger'. I never heard of the book though. How about the John Lennon song, 'Woman Is The Nigger Of The World'? should it be banned?

Setareh Juventina wrote:
B. Political correctness has gone far with people not wanting to say merry christmas, but you're mixing like crazy there...suddenly it almost sounded like racism with the whole 'if they move here...' (it's not your country anyway, it's just land...and often they don't choose to move, they HAVE to move) thing.
I agree with you that you shouldn't try to change a country's inoffensive customs when you move there...but I'm sure they don't...I believe no one gets offended by christmas though...it's not even about Jesus anymore, I'm sure it's just politicians missing the point.

shame on you, Tommy Rolling Eyes

I don't believe anyone is actually offended by being wished a Happy Christmas or anything like that, but nor has it stopped people from saying they were. Also, this month, a crib was moved from a prominent place in a hospital in Dublin called Our Lady's Hospital For Sick Children... what's that all about?
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, my post wasn't meant to be racist, Setareh, and I don't have anything against people who move into this country either.

Dubya-T - you're absolutely right - it's not the people who move here who annoy me, it's the annoying politically correct people who try to satisfy everyone with their pathetic ideas and fail miserably.

My friend's daughter started school this year and there are two muslim kids on her class... so in this year's xmas party they performed a song about different religions in the world instead of a traditional Christmas play. They made no Christmas decorations in the classroom either. And I'm sure that they did it because of those two muslim kids. Confused

For God/Allah/Krishna/Force/Osiris/Odin/Cthulhu/Zeus/Thor/Shiva/ some other god's sake, they're just 7 year old kids!! Well, I guess it's no big deal but I bet the kids would have liked it...

I'm not a religious person so I have no idea how seriously some people take it, but surely Santa Claus or some Christmas tunes and decorations shouldn't offend anyone? Surprised It's quite interesting that Christian people seem to be somehow ashamed of their religion - if you go to a muslim country, I'm sure they won't apolosise for being muslims and do every possible thing to please you.

I'm not so sure about the word 'nigger'. OK, it may have a little racist ring to it, but why? It comes from the word 'negro' which means black. Even some black people use the word 'nigger' or 'negro'! Well, obviously it's racist to call black people black too, but it seems OK to call white people white. Rolling Eyes What word are we supposed to use then? 'A well-tanned person'? Heh.
It's the double standards and hypocricy that I really hate in this...

Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 23:13    Post subject: dRd s: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
It's quite interesting that Christian people seem to be somehow ashamed of their religion

ashamed isn't the word.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 00:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy, I know you're not racist, why I feel I could tell you all that.

The muslim thing is just dumb seeing as there are charpters in the Koran about Jesus and Mary and if you're a muslim you're meant to believe in Jesus too.

I don't know what words you're supposed to use, but honestly, 'nigger' has been used as a word to oppress black people, more so than the word 'black'...so I don't know, I think you'll find extremely few black people okay with the term 'nigger'...so we shouldn't really.
My guess is the majority of you are all 'white' and you don't know the slightest thing about ever feeling oppressed or given less opportunities due to your so called ethnicity.

Personally I feel it should remain in books etc because it shows the world's history, but seeing as I'm not the one suffering from it I shouldn't be the one choosing what is okay and what isn't.

Also, word to Guest: I will not be shut quiet by accusations of being politically correct. I'll only shut up if non anonymous boarders ask me to.

Love & Peace, one day, somehow
David Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 03:39    Post subject: lazy discoRdance says: Reply with quote

Setareh Juventina wrote:
Also, word to Guest: I will not be shut quiet by accusations of being politically correct. I'll only shut up if non anonymous boarders ask me to.

a) I wasn't anonymous (and I never am)
b) I never accused YOU of being anything
c) I didn't ask you to shut up
d) I was agreeing with you

Rolling Eyes

Have a happy new year... (unless you don't believe in it being a new year in less than 24 hours from now... In which case, Happy Saturday)

Exclamation
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 09:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay sorry I'm dumb. And can't always read irony on-line, and sometimes read irony where there is none.

You say your name is Guest?

Happy new year! (I don't know if it's come across but I don't have a problem with christmas, or any other holiday...Easter is weird though)

Love & Peace
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the subject above Guest's post...
Our good old Discy has been posting as "Guest" for years because he's such a lazybum. Smile

I agree with you about the word 'nigger', Setareh. It certainly wouldn't be the word that I'd use if I met a gang of black men on some dark back street (is this another racist stereotype?) and had to greet them somehow. Laughing
But a lot of people (especially older people) don't mean anything bad when they say it, they're just so used to the word.
Anyway, I still wouldn't use any of these words when addressing just one person (for example "hey black guy/negro, come here!") - if someone called me white guy I would think it's a bit weird (not racist though...)

I was going to mention another silly example, but I have a feeling that this doesn't make any sense, so I think I'll just post some nonsense in some other thread. Surprised

Happy new year Setareh and Discy & everyone else.

Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2