bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Safe as Delia
Safe as Delia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gillworm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:23    Post subject: Safe as Delia Reply with quote

can I interest anyone in conversation about food? and in the interests of lively debate, I'm prepared to consider Toffeepops as a form of food...

any singles out there will know that cooking for one can be a pain when it comes to working out the proportions in a recipe that's been designed for a family or a dinner party, so I say hats off to Delia for her book One is Fun, which is designed to help us out.

My cooking has needed a bit of refreshing lately, I had fallen into bad habits like take aways and pasta with almost anything stirred through it, so I went back to my cook books for ideas. here's a favourite.

Delia's method for cooking salmon is really easy and almost foolproof, since what you do is wrap the salmon steak or fillet in foil with a little fat and either bake in the oven or put it under the grill. her recipe uses either dry white wine or dry cider and since you only use a tablespoon, you get to pour the rest of the cider or wine down yer neck. add a slice of onion and a bay leaf to the salmon, fold it into a parcel and off you go. I like to stick to fairly muted flavours with salmon so that it isn't overwhelmed by the veg, so green beans, broccoli and steamed potatoes are my choice veg with a little cheese grated over the top. and finally, remember that salmon is one of those foods that pops up constantly when you're looking healthy eating because of the oils, vitamins and et ceteras.
Kris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got any good veggie recipes?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 16:02    Post subject: Re: Safe as Delia Reply with quote

gillworm wrote:
can I interest anyone in conversation about food? and in the interests of lively debate, I'm prepared to consider Toffeepops as a form of food...

any singles out there will know that cooking for one can be a pain when it comes to working out the proportions in a recipe that's been designed for a family or a dinner party, so I say hats off to Delia for her book One is Fun, which is designed to help us out.

My cooking has needed a bit of refreshing lately, I had fallen into bad habits like take aways and pasta with almost anything stirred through it, so I went back to my cook books for ideas. here's a favourite.

Delia's method for cooking salmon is really easy and almost foolproof, since what you do is wrap the salmon steak or fillet in foil with a little fat and either bake in the oven or put it under the grill. her recipe uses either dry white wine or dry cider and since you only use a tablespoon, you get to pour the rest of the cider or wine down yer neck. add a slice of onion and a bay leaf to the salmon, fold it into a parcel and off you go. I like to stick to fairly muted flavours with salmon so that it isn't overwhelmed by the veg, so green beans, broccoli and steamed potatoes are my choice veg with a little cheese grated over the top. and finally, remember that salmon is one of those foods that pops up constantly when you're looking healthy eating because of the oils, vitamins and et ceteras.

I'm amazed you didn't title this Safe As Jamie!

and it's T-O-F-F-Y-P-O-P-S
Mad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 16:02    Post subject: dRd says Reply with quote

that was me.
Kinkster says

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd, why don't you put yer "drd says" bit in the username field?

Question

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 16:24    Post subject: discoRdance says Reply with quote

coz it's a habit I formed ages back when I tried posting as 'discoRdance' without signing in and it wouldn't allow me to, so I resorted to the other method

Neutral
gillworm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinkster says wrote:
drd, why don't you put yer "drd says" bit in the username field?

Question

he's a tease, that's why.

and I don't ge the 'safe as Jamie' joke, way too obscure for me....

on the subject of veggie recipes, I have mad a mental note to see what's on offer, there are nights when I just fancy a plate of veggies.

how about this: brown rice slop.

brown rice (better than white because it's slightly chewy and has more flavour)
leeks, sliced
mushrooms, sliced
peas
creme fraiche (half fat is fine)
s + blk p

while the rice is cooking, put the leeks in a pan with a little oil over a low heat. keep stirring then put the lid on to allow the leeks to sweat. add mushrooms , salt and pepper and allow them to sweat too, then finally the peas . they should all be quite soft. stir in the creme fraiche till it melts and then stir in the rice and veg all together. I often add bacon to this so you might want to be generous with the salt and maybe some sage .
John M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people at the "Brown Rice Marketing Board" need to work harder, surely they could've come up with a more appealing name for that dish than "Brown Rice Slop".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 18:02    Post subject: dRd sez Reply with quote

gillworm wrote:
I don't get the 'safe as Jamie' joke, way too obscure for me

Chemie Oliver Rolling Eyes

it wasn't a joke!
discoRdance

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

would Safe As Fudge have been so bad? or even Safe As Cook?!

Last edited by discoRdance on Sat Jan 14, 2006 17:22; edited 1 time in total
Dubya - T

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 07:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about veggie pizza?
Take it out the freezer and then remove the wrapper. Chuck it in the oven & switch it on. Give it 20 minutes and your there!

Magic!
Cool
mixedcasesspaces

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

...reduce cooking times for a fan assisted oven of course.
PrincessPunkRock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillworm -- cooking salmon that way ROCKS! it's such a good way to cook fish...

as for veggie recipes, try this spicy potato thingy ...

it's from a restaurant called levant in london and man oh man is it good.

x
gillworm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M wrote:
The people at the "Brown Rice Marketing Board" need to work harder, surely they could've come up with a more appealing name for that dish than "Brown Rice Slop".

that's my name for it, since really it isn't anything other than a load of ingredients stirred together.

the BRMB do indeed need to work harder though, since it was only a short while ago that i discovered the many merits of that foodstuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1