bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Kingsize - Expanded Edition
Kingsize - Expanded Edition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 19:42    Post subject: Kingsize - Expanded Edition Reply with quote

well this arrived today after a lengthy delay.

as this is my joint favourite album of all time it was met with some considerable excitement in the firesky household

its a one disc set in a plastic jewell case and the remastering is quite simply fantastic...although kingsize is an album prime for remastering as it has many wonderfull subtle layers that come out on repeat listening.

Even the cover picture and info on the reverse are super bright and jumping off the paper

Indeed the mastering on all 3 so far has been superb...c'mon kids is due out tomorrow

the hidden track "janquil"?? is no longer a hidden track and plays as track one followed by blue room in archway (also track one)

Annoyances.... as with the others I would liked to have has all six albums with their b sides and extra tracks chronologically perfect but I am bit anal like that.

So we have 17 tracks including the three extra cuts from the Free Huey single but nothing from the Kingsize single

Free Huey is listed on the tracklisting as "Radio Edit" and there is no "put your arms around me....

Such a truly indispensible album of pure genius...amazing to think martin "doesn't like it" his "heart wasn't in it" and it "wasn't good enough" ...sorry chief I couldn't disgree more.

I would however take Free Huey and The future is now off the album and put them as B sides and add In A galaxy far far away as the new track 13.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

is 'put your arms around me and tell me everything's going to be ok' on it?
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 07:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomas booington....go to the bottom of the class....

please read paragraph 9 of my monologue and you will find your answer.... Very Happy
Bev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has come too. I was slightly disapointed by the sleeve notes - rather than any insight about the album's recording or songs, it's just another potted history of the Boos. Surely anyone buying the Kingsize reissue is likely to be aware that Wake Up Boo! was a hit single...?

But anyway yes, great music. Although I wouldn't ditch The Future Is Now, I love that track.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfiresky wrote:
thomas booington....go to the bottom of the class....

please read paragraph 9 of my monologue and you will find your answer.... Very Happy

Haha sorry, I even read your message twice and still somehow managed to miss the answer. Razz
It's a real shame though, 'Put Your Arms Around Me...' and the Kingsize B-sides are excellent. 'Superintendent', 'Tomorrow', 'Last Night I Dreamt Of God'... all top songs. 'Last Night I Dreamt Of God' was originally released on the Everything Is Sorrow single though, so perhaps it'll be on the C'mon Kids deluxe edition? Confused

I'm glad to hear that the remastered versions sound good at least, Kingsize is one of my all time favourites too, so I'll be buying this at some point...
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 06:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brother came over this weekend and we gave this a spin....we tried to work out the number of copies remastered would sell would sell worldwide and reckoned between 500 - 1000 tops....

well done cherry red for releasing this

I actually think Everything's Alright Forever would sell substantially more as it's recognised as a bit of a "shoegaze" classic and all that sort of stuff is back in vogue in a culty sort of way...

so come on cherry red lets have EAF for Xmas
Bev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
'Last Night I Dreamt Of God' was originally released on the Everything Is Sorrow single though, so perhaps it'll be on the C'mon Kids deluxe edition?

Nope... although annoyingly it does show a picture of the cover art of the CD it was on..!
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but anyone who wishes to have some of those b-sides that didn't end up on these deluxe editions, just pm me and we'll arrange something... I bet most (if not all) of you have already heard them anyway. Razz
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 06:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon kids arrived yesterday...haven't listened to the main album yet...but listening to those B 'sides took me right back to 1996..

Hann't played most of them since that period and its amazing how a song takes you back...had a vivid flashback of driving to play sunday league footie with the boos on loud..

I miss the Boos....fair play to martin he has given us one indespensible album since the split (AFM) and a number of good tunes but other than that nothing has hit those boo heights IMO..

Incidentally Martin has been responsible for providing me with 4 indespensible albums....no other artisit dead or alive has managed this..

enough rambling for now x
Bev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfiresky wrote:
so come on cherry red lets have EAF for Xmas

The CD case does actually say mail Cherry Red if you have ideas for future reissues, so get in touch with 'em!
mrfiresky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that and I'm going to email...
Melz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to taking the new Kingsize and C'mon Kids reissues off the shelf for a spin.

Kingsize first, lovely to hear Tranquillo starting the party without having to rewind. Sound quality is magnificent and the cover-art looks as striking as ever. Even though I've had a mailing-list postcard of the Kingsize / Free Huey art sat on my shelf since 1998, and seen it pretty much every day, I still was transfixed by the CD cover printed here.

The three bonus tracks fit in very nicely, with Sice's gentle vocal on the opening of Spanish Lizards being the perfect way to continue after The Future Is Now. Everything Falls Away has always been a favourite of mine, and In A Galaxy Far Far Away definitely rounds things off in style. "Let me in, I'm tired and cold" is now the new Final Line of the album, and it works very very well.

Onto C'mon Kids. Every track again sounds crisp, sharp and with as much bite as they ever had back in 1996. As for the second CD, the B-sides and remixes are all in CD-order going from What's In The Box CD1, CD2, C'mon Kids CD1, CD2 and Ride the Tiger CD1 and CD2. These are actually my favourites of all the Boo B-sides, and it's great to hear them getting recognised again. Also, the remixes bring back good memories of listening to the singles on repeat for hours on end - particularly that really funky Mekon remix of C'mon Kids.

Any issues I had with these packages have already been addressed: a significant absence of Put Your Arms Around Me And Tell Me Everything's OK, Superintendent, Tomorrow, Last Night I Dreamt Of God, Skywalker and French Canadian Bean Soup. Perhaps Cherry Red might consider these tracks for an uber-rarities disc? Together with EAF or Ichabod & I?
Bev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weird, Tranquillo, is the one thing I don't like - to me, KS starts with Blue Room in Archway, which is already a slow start but such a great track. I'd have prefered Tranquillo as a bonus track at the end...

Other than that, I agree with almost all you say mate...

Happy Christmas
Bev
Melz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious thing, those bonus bits at the start. I definitely see your point about Kingsize officially starting with the "Doo doo dah dah, dah dah" on 'Blue Room in Archway', and that together with the strings, the mental drumming and the lyric "Feels so much colder now you're away" is a pretty-damn-near-perfect way to open a record. Just like 'Check it Out' is the official intro to SFA's 'Guerrilla' whereas 'The Citizen's Band' is more of a bonus track (albeit a great bonus track).

I do like 'Tranquillo' though. It's a bit like when you go to the pictures and they tell you to switch off your mobile phones before the film starts. "Have you switched off your radio? Have you switched off your TV? No more distractions? Ready? And... go! Doo doo dah dah..."
Bev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melz wrote:
"Doo doo dah dah, dah dah"

That's The Police isn't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2