bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Gig Of The Month
Gig Of The Month
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 00:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

the enemy summed the month up, an up n down set, some cracking tunes seperated by some odd shit and daft songs about aggro (which it seems todays kids think is jumping up n down at a gig, not fighting with silk scarves on wrists and dm's on boots, how times change). likewise the gigs. dead spies were further proof that being able to produce yer own album on the cheap ain't always that good a thing, they too had a couple of ok songs but were largely dull dull dull. as were fields this time, v funny on stage but having been so good throughout what seemed a never ending amount of gigs in bristol last year they just don't seemed to have written any more decent songs and "song for the fields" looks like it'll remain their great moment. and not many bands really grabbed me this month though the horrors are becoming a guilty pleasure. anyhow...

WINNER

Shitdisco @ Fleece Bristol

'cos they are one powerful live band, one of the few to out do the klaxons last year and they sound like tom tom club with x ray spex with a little thomas dolby and a whole lot of bass. pitiful crowd for 'em but you'd never have noticed for all that they gave it. on the list to see again and again.

RUNNER UP

Dead Disco @ Purr Bath

With Argyle 'aving all but finished off lutons survival 'opes that afternoon i was naturally 'appy and DD delivered. Not only did they look fantastic, a glamourous cross the Belle Stars, Visage and early Kim Wilde, but they also had tunes a plenty. Singles "The Treatment" and "Automatic" are utterly fantastic and their unique sound of early B52's mixed with Blondie and a little bit of the Organ was spellbinding.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

May is easy 'cos 2 were exceptional...

WINNER - THE WHIP @ MANCHESTER ROADHOUSE

We love the Whip. Not even the M5 being shut on the way home (on a school night! just what i needed!) could dampen the spirits. The band with the best groove of the moment, the cheekiest bassist and a set list of exceptional quality. They are doing it the right way, its taken them 18months to release just 3 singles and their only now touring nationally extensively just as the set list has become an hour long belter. Superb, loved by all there and TTLC Towers can't wait for the Louis in June.

RUNNER UP - DOT TO DOT FESTIVAL @ BRISTOL THEKLA/LOUIS/FIDDLERS.

A tenner for this! Saw 6 full sets, 4 half sets, watched the last 30mins of the Gas clinching promotion in a pub with nutters on banning orders (not nice, xenophobic idiots, i was relieved they won else i suspect a few of us would've got done over for being in their eyes Polish), time for a few on the deck of Thekla and, heck, it was ace. So laid back. So friendly. The Camden Crawl was like this once, and I hope D2D stays this good and that "the man" stays well away. Best band were Annuals (their set took the direction that I wish Neon Bible had) though New Young Pony Club ran them close. Foals were really really enjoyable even if I think an album would be irritating. On top of that Amusment Parks On Fire were splendid, and both Nova Saints & Fanfarlo were good. Late of the Pier were the shite set but they were the days only timewasters. It was top.
gillworm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Enemy supporting the Manics at the Astoria on Wednesday, and I must admit I smothered my smiles from start to finish as I watched their singer Wellering it up! I was on the barrier so I think he may have seen me grinning a little.

So do you reckon All Mod Cons is his favourite Jam album??

the Manics on the other hand were on close to top form, though I suspect James has been at the steroids, his voice went a little Pinky and Perky a couple of times. Full marks for energy and performance though. The new album plays well live and the extra guitaristmakes a big difference on backing vocals as well as guitar.

Could've done without that Jones boy wandering over to my side of the stage in a really mini kilt of cammo fabric with some kind of sparkly net inserts. Apparently at another gig his boxers didn't quite cover everything they should've and I thought we might have a scrotum moment at the Astoria too!
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So do you reckon All Mod Cons is his favourite Jam album??

Without doubt Smile I do like 'em, there's some top tunes and its really odd seeing a band wearing all the 80s labels that i never 'ad the cash for!
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

so perhaps june 2007 will go down as the gig going nirvana of my life. no traipsing to glasto 'cos i'm to lazy but plenty of festival warm ups, a couple of furry gigs (other gigs aside i'd happily 'ave done the lot!) and ending with them lovely longcut lads at the lovely luminaire...

WINNERS
No runner up to many were to good - FURRIES at Ifor Bach was fantastic and its unfair to compare other gigs to it really, so equal respect to LONGCUT/MORTON VALANCE/FEEDLE for the line up of the month (MV reminded me of Giant Steps in places but v hard to describe and v cool), ANSWERING MACHINE won't change lives but probably the cutest indie schmindie since the Weddoes or Close Lobsters, LOS CAMPESIONOS! not as good as the stencil in the single (wot an ace free gift!) but at their best tune gorky tastic, THE WHIP are continually sensational and them at the Louis was the most make yer move moments of the month, and CSS/PIPETTETES Glaso warm up gig was top for the aceness of both bands stage prescence, efforts at dancin', and cools show, it wouldn've been pretty perfect evening but it was let down by...

LOSERS
THE HOLLOWAYS on the same bill, they were shite. They wanted to be the libertines, the specials and chas n dave so they really should've been top but sadly they were a pish imitation of the three of them and were shockingly bad, THE WOMBATS were on the bill to, they've been better but for Leaving For New York and their attempts at banter with the crowd they were ok at passing time 'til CSS arrived.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

summer is shite 'cos of the festivals!

discounting the longcut 'cos the ttlc clan always love 'em t'best r:

winnEr:
Wynston Marsalis @ Barbican (London not Plymouth sadly).
Nice change form indie schmindie n "new rave", it was top. prefer his own stuff to the standards his band played but jazz like this is just lush and soundtastic.

runnEr up:
Strange Death Of Liberal England @ Louisiana
Top. Not just for the fishermans beard, but for having a singer who tried to sound like Tom Waits & Shane Macgowan, for being completley off kilter and for having placards they held up at various points throughout the set. Some nice songs to.
mixedcasesspaces

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best festival: Secret Garden Party, it was amazing and I want to go and live there forever...
sparky
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm voting Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell at the beautiful City Varieties in Leeds, with a Euros Childs acoustic for the support!

http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/Leeds/CityVarietiesLeedsInterior1986.jpg
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone going to the Electric Picnic in Ireland? The line-up is savage..some of the bands I intend to see, if I am not too incapicitated..

The Field...(From here we go sublime is still bewitching me)

The Chemicals..gotta be a good show

LCD Soundsystem..can't wait to hear All My Friends live

Modest Mouse..saw them at Primavera they were super

Jesus and Mary Chain..dunno what this will be like but I hear they are awesome live

Spiritualized...two of the best gigs I've ever been at were hypnotic Spiritualized shows, never got so lost in the music before

Sonic Youth..also mega at Primavera

Deerhoof, The Good teh bad and the queen, Bjork, Fujiya and Miyagi, Primal Scream, The Go Team and Soul 2 Soul...

Stellar line-up I reckon
Dave w.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

CiaranMac wrote:
Modest Mouse..saw them at Primavera they were super

I saw them in Wolverhampton a few months ago and they were really bad. Possibly the worst gig I've been too. Really dull. Maybe they just had a off-night.
Hew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 03:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw modest mouse at lollapalooza and they were a bit boring then aswell. it was cool to see johnny marr though. LCD Soundsytem on the other hand were fantastic. One of the better live performances i've seen in a while. all my friends live was ace.
John Mc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 07:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hew, was the Liquid Swords/Spiderland/Daydream Nation thing good?
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Daydream Nation was excellent at Primavera..but Spiderland was sterilised shit
John Mc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to see them play Daydream Nation in a couple of weeks time and I'm very excited. Electric Picnic sounds like its going to be ace. I went to Benicassim last month and wasn't great. I think my camping days are behind me now.
Hew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 04:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a bit disappointing really. There were sound problems so it wasn't very loud. Apparently something fucked up during the slint set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5