bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - The Verve
The Verve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katieken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 18:52    Post subject: The Verve Reply with quote

Anyone else excited about the possibility of seeing This Is Music live again??
Dubya - T

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Northern Soul is one off the greatest albums ever. Saw then at Glastonbury in 1995 and they were on fire, even if it was 3 in the afternoon or something.

Urban Hymns was good in places but had lost the edge. It was really just part of the "Stadium Indie" movement of the time and paved the way for the likes of Coldplay. Ashcroft's solo stuff is uninspired.

This might be interesting if Ashcroft/Mcabe can regain the spark in the way Anderson & Butler did with the tears. I son't expect I'll be able to get to see it though.

Interesting use of internet marketing though. They're all doing it that way now.
Bev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do feel some hope they may do an ace guitar album with Mcabe leading the way... but if it's just sopued up Ashcroft balladry I won't be altogether surprised....
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Soul is ace but the other 2 albums are pretty dull for the most part, i'd never have got Northern Soul due to them 'orrible sax solos on Storm In Heaven however Spaceman Jon (the Plymouth one, not the indie hero!) got me a promo copy of it ON CASSETTE IT WAS THAT LONG A GO! and i loved it, bought it on mirrored lp and had to get it on cd as well.

I'm tempted to go 'cos i aven't been to the roundhouse but i suspect yer right it'll be shite and all Ashcroft!

Be nice if its staged so McCabe is just there to boot Ashcroft up the arse if he tries to do any of his solo stuff.
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember they played The Leadmill just before Urban Hymns came out, back in the days when you couldn't buy tickets anywhere other than on the door. My brother queued for 12 hours to get in and has ever since proclaimed it to be the best gig of his life. Gutted. i then had tickets for the big gig at Wigan but pulle dout at the last minute as I had made a promise. Gutted.

Yet, this reformation and tour just doesn't fill me with, well, anything. I'd have loved to see them back in the day, but now? Too much water under the bridge really. Northern Soul still stands up but the rest of it has aged and aged badly, whilst my taste is quite different too.

Good luck to them. Ashcroft needs McCabe by his side in my opinion, but, while I hope they will be great, I really really doubt it.

x
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it just like Gary Barlow and Take That? No-one would have been arsed about Ashcroft's new solo album but the world will be interested again now he's reformed the Verve. I bet the comeback single won't be as good as 'Patience'.

I saw Kanye West last night and he was ace. He's a proper old fashioned entertainer, like Bruce Forsyth but with more swearing.
Hew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm excited about the verve getting back together because they were ace. i think ashcrofts solo stuff has put a lot of people off but 10 years ago they were quite incredible. i got to see them twice and they were 2 of the best gigs i've ever been to. welcome back i say.
katieken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I am slightly tingly about this simply cause I'm getting older and A Northern Soul is my favourite album ever, and surely if they get back together and sang A New Decade I will cream my pants and feel like I'm 15 again and it'll be great. Didn't get tickets of which I am gutted but come on its The Verve. I saw them in Wolverhampton just before Urban Hymns came out and it was the best gig I have ever seen. The emotion was amazing in a funny sort of way, euphoria all round. I also saw them at Glastonbury in 1995 and they were amzing then too. They have a chemistry and if they can recreate that then I will be a very very happy bunny I must say.

Champagne all round for this one I say!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1