bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - What am I supposed to do as the BBC axed Holiday??!!
What am I supposed to do as the BBC axed Holiday??!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katieken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 20:22    Post subject: What am I supposed to do as the BBC axed Holiday??!! Reply with quote

Anyone been to Washington, Philadelphia or New York and have any recommendations? I'm going there soon, and was wondering if anyone had any little known gems they could pass on. Also Rekjavik if anyone has been there - best ploys for cheap night please!!!
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York - Stay as long there as you can, top place. Battery Park to Staten Island Ferry is/was free and affords you good view of Liberty and Lower Manhattan, v cool at night when the city is lit up. Worth paying for one of the tours 'round the island as you get the best views of all the buildings (we got one from Pier 83 I think). Guggenheim and MoMA are ace, the Whitney was fantastic as well. Central Park worth spending time in, to many bars to mention (look out for the micro brewery ones) and there's a great Mexican (can't remember the name) on 42nd Street. And if yer want cheap great pannin's etc there's a great place opposite the Flat Iron Building. There's also a great cupcake place in Greenwich Village! And if yer fancy seeing a band i'd recommend going to the Irving Plaza 'cos I love it as a venue, but i'm sure there's more people out there who could offer better advice than me! Oh wish I were going NOW! Top top top place.

Washington - See the monuments, there pretty close together, I liked the sculpture park to (its free!) and get nice and drunk in the district of Adams Morgan - many nice bars and cheap Ethipioan Restaurents. There's also a few good Japanese ones that cook at yer table - worth doing 'cos the chef's like to show off!

Anyone got recommendations for Chicago, San Francisco or Salt Lake City?
John Mc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three favourite New York bars are:

1) The Other Room
143 Perry St
http://newyork.citysearch.com/review/7113583
It's a beautiful bar tucked away near the Christopher Street PATH station. Has candles and trip hoppy-esque music but manages to avoid being wanky and pretentious and is lovely and charming. Has loads of different beers as well.

2) Rudys
627 Ninth Ave
http://nymag.com/urr/urr.pl?rm=all_reviews&listing_id=8147&listing_type=nyml_venue_bar
A proper cheap, rowdy and dirty dive bar. They serve free hot dogs that you'd only consider eating when inebriated enough not to care about basic food hygiene standards.

3 The Ear Inn
326 Spring Street
http://nymag.com/urr/urr.pl?rm=all_reviews&listing_id=5218&listing_type=nyml_venue_bar
Great old fashioned bar with good food and they have crayons on the tables so you can draw/write rude things on the paper tablecloths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1