bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Gig Of The Month
Gig Of The Month
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 21:11    Post subject: Gig Of The Month Reply with quote

For January 2007:

Not much 'appening really but...

Winner: Client / Steers @ Cardiff Barfly

Opened up with a female rapper who's name escapes me. She was quirky but the fake ghetto accent was irritating. The Steers were the best new guitar band i've seen there since Editors, plenty of tunes. Client's blend of kraftwork, human league and a little bit of dubstar with the vocals of a female Neil Tennant was well sound and finished off the most eclectic and lively triple bill since Longcut/WeStartFires/Klaxons at Iffor Bach a little under a year ago.

Runner Up: Snowfight In The City Centre / Ghosts / Air Traffic @ Fleece
Snowfight were indie poptastic and not 'alf as soft and radio friendly as i thought they might be, Ghosts began and finished well but were pretty dull in between, left before Air Traffic 'cos I saw them too many times last year and they are really really dull.

x
ttlc
John Mc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gig of the year: Sonic Youth playing Daydream Nation at the Roundhouse. I couldn't be more excited.

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/dont-look-back/
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hold steady are playing in dublin next week. Great band. great album. should be a great show. I checked them out on youtube, they look damn good live
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feb was frantic n full of 'em. Picking the worst is easy. There's a group of us who've done every nme tour since 1996 so we did both the Rock!! and Rave!! tours. Rock was dire. Mumm-ra are a rare thing, a band who get duller each time I see them, The Automatic were workmanlike, though I like the View and loved 'em at Fleece they were just lost in a venue the size of Southampton Guildhall. Thankfully the Horrors were great but not even they were as good as any on the rave (nme term not anyone elses) tour.

We saw this at the very nice Cardiff Uni Nightclub. It was the first time I've seen New Young Pony Club and their electro funk was top draw whilst Klaxons, CSS and Sunshine Underground remain top live value. But excellent though that was the pick were...

Winner: Gruff Rhys @ Newport Riverfront.
Already rambled under the dublin thread so shan't add more here, but I could 'cos it was so top.

Runner Up: Tokyo Police Club @ Sheffield Plug
Almost the winner 'cos it was only £3 door, Pygmy Globetrotters were a quirky Sheffield electro band who were like the liars with tunes and some necessary self contro. TPC are, along with the Walkmen, the only good band to be influenced by and add to the Strokes sound. They were also very charming and the venue was sound.
Danger Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tynans Lovechild wrote:
Winner: Gruff Rhys @ Newport Riverfront.
Already rambled under the dublin thread so shan't add more here, but I could 'cos it was so top.

Can't wait till i go see him at the Liverpool Philamonic in April!
John Mc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Un-Gig Of The Year: LCD Soundsystem in Manchester last night. They looked liked they'd rather be anywhere else in the world rather than onstage, had to go off half way through cos "its hot up here and we got really fucked last night" and couldn't play the last few songs cos of technical problems. I wish I'd stayed at home and watched Barry from Eastenders on that singing show instead of travelling 300 miles to go to see them. Was meant to be writing a 400 word review on it but I can't be arsed and will sum it up in 2: Fucking rubbish. I have now officially given up on rock and roll. For today anyway.
Kris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
Un-Gig Of The Year: LCD Soundsystem in Manchester last night. They looked liked they'd rather be anywhere else in the world rather than onstage, had to go off half way through cos "its hot up here and we got really fucked last night" and couldn't play the last few songs cos of technical problems. I wish I'd stayed at home and watched Barry from Eastenders on that singing show instead of travelling 300 miles to go to see them. Was meant to be writing a 400 word review on it but I can't be arsed and will sum it up in 2: Fucking rubbish. I have now officially given up on rock and roll. For today anyway.

WOW. I was popping on here to rave about this very same gig and say it's one of the greatest gigs I've ever seen in my life despite the fact I was sober throughout! Admit it, you didn't even go didn't you?

Shocked
John Mc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was definitely there and have the LCD Soundsystem flag to prove it.
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own I guess, but blimey, I loved it more than any gig for the last few years. My better half was even of the opinion that it's the best "indoor" gig she's ever seen.

All My Friends was just phenomenal.

x
Hew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw the walkmen last night in a 250 people capacity place. I was pretty lucky to get a ticket and so far that would be my gig of the year.
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards the LCD soundsystem gig. I think it is very interesting to see such divergent opinions regarding the same gig, but having said that it happens a lot, gigs are pretty subjective experiences. I was at a so-called secret gig by the Rapture in Dublin which was sponsored by Coke and iTunes. I found it risible, the venue was too warm, the sponsorship was in your face everywhere, the crowd were all PR and scenesters, and the music felt flat and insipid yet everyone I've met since that was at the gig rated it as one of the best gigs ever. The opposite has also happened to me, a Happy Mondays gig, a New Order gig and a Yeah Yeah Yeahs gig, all of which I found really amazing and others, who's opinions I normally respect ,told me were shite. I guess it really is each to their own. I've recently stopped paying any heed to album reviews as well, as it suddenly dawned on me just what flights of subjective whimsy most of them are written on.
Kris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 04:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/entertainment/music/live_reviews/s/1001/1001588_lcd_soundsystem__academy_1.html
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they read mr mc's words of scorn and acting as inspiration in the way benitez's teamtalk did in istanbul they came out all cylinders firing at bristol academy. they were fantastic. academy is a pretty unpleasent big venue that holds 1600 but only allows about 800 people a view with the rest just having to make do with the pricey bar and a tv screen. last time they played there there was only about 500 and it was great 'cos you could dance. this time it was pretty full but for the first time in years i stuck it out at the front. not much room to move but it was worth it. they were great. like a mini rave. all top dance tunes. only let down was the encore. tbh they didn't need to do it but they were clearly loving it as was 'im from hotchip on guitar, "its the most songs we've played all tour!" they yelled as they introduced new york. as a song its ok but lcd are best when they grove and though it proved how talented they clearly are it was a pretty pointless and dull song to finish with. but apart from that sound as chicken ceylon and worth the hefty £17 cover.

oh and words up for pritzhorn. first couple of songs it was iffy but thereafter they were a 3 piece avantgarde fall. that's meant to be a compliment and for a venue that size they were tremendous. hope they do the louis or somewhere else nice soon!
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and though the rapture were ace last week it was an odd crowd. not a coporate one but a v glam one that all only knew got to get myself into it. when they did fleece it was perfect but the crowd was into it all the way. it makes such a difference. much as i love editors i can't face seeing them again 'cos the last couple of times its been an aggressive heckle the support band get yer lighters in the air crowd that i just don't like.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

top month, march was never had this many gigs when i were a kid... a welcome return to the UK for 2 of my fave live bands (LCD, Rapture), a mini Longcut tour, an impressive couple of sets from the twang and in an era when pretty every band you see is at least competent a refreshing change to see 2 garbage bands. First were hadouken who were a pish lost prophets fronted by kevin the teenager, with howard jones on keyboards and stylised by dave cameron. T'other were bloody tourists who were just bloody shite.

Winner - HV4 birthday bash @ Manchester Ritz
Well it could easily have been the longcut at Sheffield Leadmill steel stage, the leadmill is one of the great venues, the longcut debuted decent new tunes and maps were an excellent support band, sounding a bit like laser guided melodies era spiriutalized. But HV4 was ace. The Whip were excellent, the Longcut likewise, KBC were good particulary given that they were sandwiched between 2 such splendid bands and Chk Chk Chk (!!!) were great techno/funk with 2 of best and smelliest frontmen you'll ever see. Or sniff.

Runner Up - LCD Soundsystem

Just 'cos at the moment all my friends was played the lighting was fantastic, it was a bit like underworld, the spine tingled... They are so much better live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5