bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - how about some getting to know you stuff?
how about some getting to know you stuff?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

billycasper wrote:

As for best gigs, David Kitt always blows me away. First time I saw him was at Zodiac in Oxford where about 20 people were well into it and loads of other twats were just chatting at the bar, drowning him out.

Hey, The Zodiac in Oxford - i used to go there all the time! (Nostalgia)
Hope i wasn't one of the twats you mention!
Melz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

First gig - Garbage at Doncaster Dome in January 1999.
Fave gigs - Super Furry Animals at Leeds Uni in October 2001,
Lit at Nottingham Rock City in January 2002,
Miss Black America at Sheffield Leadmill in August 2002,
Mighty Mighty Bosstones at Leeds Met in October 2002,
Suede at Leeds Uni in November 2002,
Brave Captain at Sheffield Barfly in November 2002.

Melz.
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 06:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

favorite gigs - aforementioned Radiohead '96, got to see them play 'I Promise', 'Lift', and an early version of 'Paranoid Android'

but the fondest memories I have are of seeing Joe Strummer ("It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice") at the Roxy here in boston about 2 years ago. a real shame. he looked to be in ridiculously good shape. I remember thinking at the time, that he had at least twice the energy of any of the younger groups I'd seen. had to grab a Gatorade on my way home, saying as the man had had us all up in such a sweat!

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 07:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not want to know my first gig, I was 18, that's all I'm saying.

Best gig, this is difficult, I've been on less than 10 I think and nearly all excellent. I'll say Secret Gig 4 with Embrace in St Agnes Head and Pilton Fest cos it was an entire weekend, it was magical and it was sooooo weird.

Martin, did you see any games during Euro92 in Sweden? Say Scotland?

Love and Peace
Setareh
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 08:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

so wait, have any of you guys been able to see a Freeheat show? Martin, sorry, to bring this up if there's any bad blood between you and the brothers Reid...
anyways [url]freeheat.com[/url] is sort of updated regularly, and if any of you want mp3's of a couple tracks, you may or may not know someone who may or may not be able to deliver such items ( wink, wink ). all's I know is that the shows were great fun, and while Jim declined my offer to buy them a round, he sported us a couple Coronas from his private stash and put up with our whole "stupid fan" nonsense.

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 08:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and I went to see Billy Joel with my dad on the Storm Front tour. so you can all have a big belly laugh and then fess up as to what your real 1st shows were

Vodamusic.com
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 08:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bad blood there mate. I think I only met Jim once and William never. Psychocandy is the greatest record ever made and i still got a framed page from the NME in 1985. 'You Trip Me Up' Is the best video ever.

Talking of Boston, The Pills are ace. x
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 09:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setareh Juventina wrote:
You do not want to know my first gig, I was 18, that's all I'm saying.

i do want to know your first gig Very Happy it can't be that bad, you can tell about it on the thread about our darkest secrets... Twisted Evil
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 09:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neh, it is a little too bad I'm afraid, not Backstreet Boys bad, but not too far from that. L&P
gillworm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

coool, we seem to have hit a rich vein here....

ok, first gig, 1977, Hammersmith Odeon, Don Everly (solo) and Marty Robbins, whom none of you will have heard of...excellent entertainment, there used to be a huge country music festival at Wembley each Easter and a lot of the artists would tour around that time. Don Everly had just turned 40 and was promoting an album called Brother Jukebox

the next year i saw Shaking Stevens in the Elvis musical...

next gig after that was the Jam at Hammersmith Palais, December 81 (21 years later to the day i saw the Manics at the CIA)...and i don't mind admitting to Orange Juice, Strawberry Switchblade, Redskins (at least a dozen times), Billt Bragg (even more times), and loads of other bands you're all too young to recognise!!! highlights from the last couple of years would be the Furries, Cooper Temple Clause, Therapy?, the Captain in Camden and the Manics...biggest regret is that i've only seen Elvis Costello once, not a great performance, at last year's V Festival

i refuse to pick 'best of...', i wouldn't know how to.
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIRST GIG - Madness Cornwall Coliseum Nov 1985 - Probably my fave one ever 'cos it was my first and they played everything. My bruv, my mate and me getting on the bus from Plymouth to St Austell all to attend our first gig! The lights were ace, Mssrs Smash and Suggs had really good clobber on and i'd saved enough money to get meself a t-shirt! Just a shame that aload of rock arseholes came to fight the skinheads causing the lovely Michael Caine to be stopped half way through. Never understood why anyone would go to a bands gigs to fight the fans. Really wound me up (still does). The Friday Club supported them and I loved them too.

BEST GIGS - Underworld, Asain Dub Foundation, Super Furries, Leftfield have always been ace whenever i've seen them (and the SFA surround pa is fantastic). Also loved Primals (XTRMNTR tour), Black Grape (Reading festival), Carter USM (Exeter Uni), Dodgy (some pub in North Cornwall, free gig 'cos they were recording ita at the time), THe Fall (Penzance), Family Cat At Sea (doing a booze cruise down the River Tamar!), Stone Roses (Exeter Uni), Strokes (Bristol Fleece n Firkin), Vines (Bristol Louisana), Cambag Velocet (Louisana), The Aloof (Camden Underworld), Billy Bragg (Glastonbury), Les Negresses Vertes (Glastonbury), Orbital (Glastonbury - seen them indoors too but I prefer them in the big outdoors!), Prefab Sprout (Cardiff SDH), Oasis (Cardiff Astoria), Pulp Auto Festival (Rotherham), Interpol (Bristol Louisana), Babybird (Portsmouth), gawd and a whole load of others.

Fave ones this year are Radio 4, Teenage Fanclub, Asian DF, and the Kills (all Bristol). Oh and i'm gettin' hyper excited about seeing the Go-Betweens for the first time ever in 10 days time!

WORST - Fergal Sharkey - we were big undertones fans but this was shocking, that said his voice was ace and support was the really good Thrashing Doves (still love Jesus On The Payroll and Beautiful Imbalance, both classic singles).

BIGGEST REGRET - Missing out on MBV to go to football instead, not often I regret going to footie but this was a mistake i still regret. Ho hum.

Oh and i'm with you Mr Tommy Boo on the Chumbawamba thing, I think they were fantastic live and whilst not all the tunes are great i'll always like 'em for doing the pop n politics thing when nobody else would. Shame about their taste in football teams though Smile
Bev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Unexpectedly ace gig was The Tindersticks at Glasto...

had been hot all weekend & then i was feeling sad because had to leave soon (& all crazy stuff about a girl too, ho hum) and they came on in the drizzle and mist and played the most beautiful set...

Oh, and any Flaming Lips gig ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gillworm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 09:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting to see from all these posts where we all overlap in taste and also diverge too...

and also the different experiences of bands - radiohead one the one hand mind blowing, on the other hand at times shite - same for oasis. but it looks like we all love the live experience. Tommy Boo, you should go to more gigs!!! look what you're missing! Smile
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillworm wrote:
Tommy Boo, you should go to more gigs!!! look what you're missing! Smile

Ahhh... you don't even know how much I would like to do so. You know, I live in Finland - we can only see the biggest bands and then of course Finnish bands here... Confused I had to travel to London to see Bravecaptain in November, but it definitely was worth it. Smile
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does everyone think of catatonia by the way? in fact i like them a lot, even though most of my friends hate them. they say that cerys matthews is annoying. i don't know anything else about catatonia than their music - they aren't really that big in finland. i think that she has a strong, clear and unique voice and their last three albums have been all great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3