bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - It suddenly hit me...
It suddenly hit me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 13:01    Post subject: It suddenly hit me... Reply with quote

...I was listening to AFM and it hit me that an era is over and I can't say I'm too hungry for the electronic stuff. I liked the melodies so much and the words that I know I'll miss them.
I'm not demanding Martin should continue this way, I just think I will really really miss it.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Love and Peace
Setareh
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said anything about words and melodies disappearing?
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one, an assumption cos a lot of electronic music is beats and music but not singing in the traditional sense you know...so what are you saying, there will still be singing?

Amor y Paz
Setareh
sparky
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Love Will See Us Through' was totally electronic and had singing all the way through...
Bev

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are fretting too much Set. ... lets face it he's been doing stuff with beats since 'Fortunate Sons...'

Still yeah, I agree that I would miss the lyrics if they go, I just don't think they will...
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not fretting...I'm sad.
Anyway, electronical elements and eletronic music are two different things. L&P
Kris

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say the electronic stuff on AFM is what excited me the most.... I always had a nagging feeling that, ace as songs like Teenage Death Squad are, they we're not a patch on Martins best efforts in similiar territory...

I really can't wait to hear the new stuff - I'm really fookin excited.

Kinkster
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 08:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww, come on.... as strange as it seems, its the same thing.

thing is, with a guitar, or drums say, you've 1st of all gotta learn yourself the guitar (or drums). this involves either years of lessons or sitting around with a noisemaking thing everyday until you learn to control it. then you start writing the songs. and oh, they are soooo good that for three years all you write is absolute shit. and then you get used to yer instrument and waste a full year or so testing how difficult a song yer fingers will enable you to write. then after that you're in heaven for a couple years until you get bored with the sound your instrument will enable you to make, no matter how many effects you fuck around with.

basically, electronica is a better means to a common end. all it does is enable possible musical geniuses who might have been formerly filtered out through the 'instrument learning stage' to create the music that's in their heads more directly. to our collective benefit might i add.

electronica being shit has to do with worn out formulas. or old formulas that are good but abandoned. say beatles. For 'Tomorrow Never Knows' the fab 4 were limited. the song is better off today, post chemical bothers, than it probably was at the time. had the Beatles been privy to our technologies, we wouldn't have had to wait 35+ years to hear that sort of shit. (though given the circumstances, i think chem bros are top notch)

so you suck or you don't. it's all about taste really. there are good points to house and drumnbass and IDM. Autechre kick ass. but where does a song end and electronica begin? there are no such boundardies.

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good electronica will evoke emotions just as good as guitar music.

Admittedly, nothing equals the human voice.

But in a way, keyboards and electric guitars are just electronic instruments as well, just have been established for a longer period of time.

I'd love to see BC try his hand at more electronic stuff, but that's probably just me being selfish, cos I it forms quite a sizable chunk of my CD collection.

But I can't see BC ever fully abandoning the guitar. The guitar holds a special place in the hearts of all musicians that have ever started a conventional band.
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

CranesAreFlying wrote:
had the Beatles been privy to our technologies, we wouldn't have had to wait 35+ years to hear that sort of shit.

I don't know, have you heard what the Silver Apples did in 1967? Or what Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream were doing in the seventies. 35 years later not many boundaries have been pushed much further. With the exception of some of the hiphop bands and loopers drum n' bass a la that genius Tom Jenkins aka Squarepusher and some of his other contemporaries.

Stuff like Aphex Twins selected ambient works Vol2 and Boards of Canada, while being genius could have been written in the seventies
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

MHTRTC is a beautiful record. and the first ep released after it is really lovely too. go.... is rank and goes nowhere. I can't wait for more bc electronica, the stuff on AFM is really good and better thant i'd have expected - also more likely to get an airing on the car stereo without causing a domestic Smile
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you all please stop comparing electronic music to guitars? I am not obsessed with guitars, I've never thoughts of them as the instrument of God and I much prefer a good piano to anything, and none of my fave bands have ever emphasized divine piano playing.

Also, I don't mind electronic sounds, but I would miss the singing, regardless of how good or inventive the new stuff was. We will just have to wait and see.

Love and Peace
Setareh
darraghh

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 00:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAHHHHH! its the rockers versus the ravers.
C'mon the fuckin ravers!!!!!
glo-sticksn'dummy's

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your hand in the air, like you just don't care!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1