bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - a message from sheffield tourist board
a message from sheffield tourist board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billycasper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 14:09    Post subject: a message from sheffield tourist board Reply with quote

hey ciaran, thanks for the inspiration...

Quote:
Kinkster: Go to Leeds! Get out of this shithole! who knows, you might actually be able to see some good bands without having to travel 60 miles!

Hey, I know it’s different just visiting somewhere than actually living there, but I’ve spent the last two weekends in Sheffield and had a better time than I ever imagined was possible there. Shame it took the death of my grandad to get me there, but after his funeral on Friday I spent the weekend shopping in that street with jacks records on it (I dunno the name, sorry), then drinking outside the bar by the forum and generally getting wasted in the sunshine on that hunk of grass there. All the people in bars and shops were so friendly. Hell, even the food in the weathersppons was edible. Then went to see kills at leadmill on sat night (thanks for the tip off about them tommy, thought they were great, always put off by the scarfo connection but kills more than transcend that, phew), then danced the night away. How refreshing to go to a club that plays three pulp songs, none of which is common people. The britpop kid that still lurks inside of me was satiated in a way nowhere I’ve ever found in london can do. And everyone there was so friendly – all the young ‘uns telling me I had cool hair and a great suit – hey, thet NEVER happens here in the smoke. And even if you hate sheffield, don’t you ever go and waste yourself in lazy places like bakewell and eyam (sp?)?

Ok, kinkster, anyone, please tell me I got it wrong. I’m pretty annoyed I only really got into the place on what will inevitably be my last visit there (at least until argyle vs Wednesday next season, but is hillsborough even in sheffield?)

billy
xx
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

london is crap
much too big and smelly... people pushing in the undergrounds, drugdealers and beggars and thieves behind every corner. and i fucking hate the tubes! Mad people just sit there, never talk to anyone... and if they say something, they ask when's the next train to waterloo station leaving. i hate london. except for my friends there of course Very Happy and all the nice little record stores of course...

i like the northern england a lot more! i've never been to sheffield, but i've heard it's okay. i like all the small towns and villages there - people there are nice and it's nice when someone comes to talk to you in a pub. in general, people in north are much more friendly. and the countryside is really beautiful, not just dark and depressing tunnels everywhere... everyone should go to yorkshire dales some time! Very Happy
ciaran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo go down shop and get us pennorth of bullseyes.

Haha, actually I'm not qualified to comment on whether the North or south of England are any different having never been to either.

I will say having read The Road to Wigan Pier recently, that it was grim up North back in the day. But people's spirits always shone through. folk are kindly up north.
planko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a cut off point somewhere in the midlands where people suddenly start being really nice?

is it derby?
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to visit maybe Sheffield has good nightlife - and The Leadmill really is the best club in The Universe Smile

Then there is Division Street with Jacks Records and The Frog and Parrot - The Everlasting Student in me will always love that pub.

Other than that..... I think the shopping is woefull, the distances you have to walk to get anywhere decent..... blah blah blah it's relly cos I live here....

Must say I've been to Liverpool twice and I love that City so much!

Kinkster
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 07:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my dreams i leave this godforsaken continent and sail east. a henry miller for the 21st century. i get myself a motorcycle and travel all around that island of yours and i am happy.

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Englands blessed with good cities, 'tis a pity that not enough of us explore them (mind you given the price of hotels over here...). We had a weekend in Sheffield for Pulps Auto Fest, and very nice it was too. And 'tis a friendly place, felt very looked after in the food n drink places. And the bastard football fixture genie will (despite his best effots) will not stop me or hundreds of other Argyle fans from going there for our bastard midweek fixture next season (thank fuck i live in brizzle, its only 2.5 hours drive from here, them poor souls coming up from the west country!).

Have returned from a very nice holiday in the NE. Went to Newcastle for the first time ages (been so long they still had terracing when i were last there, man!) and that remains a cracking city. The millenium bridge n that is cool, and the trip to Gateshead to see the Angel of the North was worth it, thats well fantastic. The rust effect really makes it look so cool. Friendly too and nice to go somewhere laid back (gawd i wish brizzle was, it is apathetic but people here are about as chilled as cup of tea!). In the last year we've been to a few English cities and its great to see the likes of these places and Manchester (which is really good now too) getting the investment to make them worth a trip again.

Glad you liked the kills billyc! I thought Scarfo were alright (though admittedly no more than) and I even got his Fiji single (which was really quirky with kazzoo's (sp) n stuff on it). But this is loads better and they were fantastic live.

Off to see the Bandits on Friday - seen them twice before and I really dig 'em. Prefer them to the Coral (the only current band i'd compare them too) and they manage to pull off a blinding version of "Guns Of Brixton" too. What a nice way to start a w/e.

And its still soooooooooo bloomin' sunny Cool Cool Cool Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1