bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Desparate For New Music
Desparate For New Music
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:11    Post subject: Desparate For New Music Reply with quote

Hey all

I'm after finding / getting / paying for / listening to / downloading / etc music along the same lines as Zabrinski / RJD2 / Advertisements for Myself.

Can anyone reccomend anything for me to look out for?

cheers

Kinkster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hip-hoppy

Prefuse 73
Broadcast
Global Goon
Plaid

Misc

Philip Glass
Old Aphex Twin records
The Band
Rollerskate Skinny
Guided By Voices
CiaranMac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Twas me above, with a couple of reccomendations, and can I also recommend Autobahn by Kraftwerk, if you don't already own it..
billycasper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the new relaxed muscle ep came out the other week - jarvis cocker’s latest project which is about equivalent to bravecaptain what pulp were to the boos. Certainly a more pleasurable listening experience than the first relaxed muscle record. I picked up a promo of the new rapture album (echoes) the other day, too, if you like your rock/indie/dance crossover things a little heavier – maybe a little disappointment after the quality of the singles, but still well worth checking out on September 8th (or downloadable already, I’m sure). In fact, the rapture are on this rough trade shops 2cd compilation of post punk stuff, which has a lot of that kind of stuff on. Still getting my head round it all, but there’s some amazing stuff on there I’d never previously heard of. Otherwise Patrick Wolf’s Lycanthropy is pretty interesting – kind of a concept album about spending your teenage years thinking you’re turning into a woolf (so I heard) – getting a lot of airplay late nights on xfm and sounding good. And I take it for granted you’ve already got phantom power? Truly essential.

Ok, I got paid last week, so if anyone wants to recommend me anything in return I’d be really grateful – I’d hate to have enough money left at the end of the month to actually feed myself or anything like that.

billy
xx
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the last 3 or so months I would recommend....

DECAL "BRIGHTEST STAR" - Listening to it now and its fantastic, fave dance record thing since Circulation "Colours". Pretty stark but nice beats, guess kinda techo/house but i ain't that hot on dance definitions.

SFA "PHANTOM POWER" - Thank fuck! A mighty return to form for the Furries. Loads better than RATW (the only average album they've done). Most like Mwng of the other stuff, but the last song is a fine stab at mixing guitars with Orbital.

SALOON "IF WE MEET IN THE FUTURE" - Splendid quite melancholy indie. Sort of like a more McCarthyised Stereolab with only female vocals (that sound like the girl from Cuckoo (i think) if you remember them!).

COLDER "AGAIN" - Dunno what to compare it to, like quite alot of Underworlds "Dubnohead..." but maybe a bit more French with proper Dub n hip hop-ish overtones. Reviews suggest Joy Division too, but I think more Kraftwerk (loosely mind).

BRITISH SEA POWER "DECLINE OF" - Not a classic but well worth £8.99. Very classic British indie with shades of Bowie through to Kitchens. Very much its own sound though.

YEAH YEAH YEAHS "FEVER TO TELL" - Tried too hard live but what a fantastic debut, didn't think it would be that good but its poptastic and even to a 30something (young 30something mind!) like me it still sounds really fresh. Top one for the summer. Believe it.

WOULDN'T BOTHER WITH...
Kings Of Leon - Some good songs but way to retro me thinks

Mars Volta - Each song is to long. Shame 'cos there's a gem inside there.

Fallacy - Groundbreaker was last years best single but am a bit disappointed with this one. Has its good moments but a bit inconsistent.

White Stripes - Loved the single so was happy to borrow the album. Shite imo. Like a real blues version of Queen. Yep, that bad.

Shall be getting Kraftworks "TDF", Spritualized and Shacks newie over the next few weeks. Will probably get the new Sleepy Jackson too, but that'll have to wait 'til the next pay day!!!
CranesAreFlying

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 07:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with mars volta is Rick Fucking Rubin. aside from the early hiphop stuff and tom petty's 'wildflowers' the man has only produced shit. meandering glossy shit.
and yeah check out Kraftwerk's 'Autobahn', as well as 'Radio-Activity'
ya got any of them early Brian Eno records? 'Another Green World' and 'Here Come the Warm Jets' are incredible.
also Manu Chao's 'Clandestino' will suck your mind out of your head in 4 or 5 different languages. international rebel musics. (FYI- the single Bongo Bong is the worst on the record).

isn't that shaun ryder record out yet? how is it?

Vodamusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

have got radioactivity but - predictably i guess - transeurope... is my fave album of theirs. Have never bought any Eno, dunno why, but might well do now. Sense a visit to Fopp! is now on the cards as thats always good for old catologue bargains.

Shaun Ryder - have heard the single, its pretty funky again but lacks the knock-out hooks that ya normally expect from him, that said i've only heard it once and it could be a grower cos it does make yer groove.

Have heard lots of the tim burgess solo stuff too, its absolutely awful! his single is like the theme from cagney + lacey and some of the other are light weight boy band pop and country ala shania twain. shocking considering the charlatans are a pretty alright band! think it sounds like a man desparate for a mainstream hit!
Melz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively, for anyone looking for a little daftness, I recommend Half Man Half Biscuit's new EP "Saucy Haulage Ballads".

Has anyone heard the Coral's new album? If so, is it worth 12 quid?

Melz.
Kris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 08:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it - all I'll say is that I just don't get them, although a lot of ppl around me think I'm mad Shocked

Kinkster
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 08:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinkster wrote:
I've heard it - all I'll say is that I just don't get them, although a lot of ppl around me think I'm mad Shocked

There's nothing to get, it's beautiful and fun music. L&P
Hew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 05:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lovers" by The Sleepy Jackson is very good in Soft Bulletin, Hour of Bewilderbeast, beatlesy kind of way.

I'm also looking forward to the new Elbow cd
Spaniard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone just got me into Townes Van Zandt. It'll either make you slash your wrists or make you move to Mexico, take lots of Mescalin and live in a shack with a woman called Rosie...
Tommy Tynans Lovechild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Townes Van Zandt retrospective over Easter and its beautiful - gotta be in the mood for it mind!
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, this is completely off-topic...
What's the difference between SFA's Phantom Power DVD and CD?
Martin's new song is only on the DVD version, right? Do you think the DVD version is worth all the money and is it much more expensive?
paulwhite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i've got the DVD, but i haven't got around to watching it yet,

apparantely it's not as good as the RATW DVD, and you have to select the videos seperately rather than watch them in one go, or summit like that,

Yeah, Martin's mix is only on the DVD, along with a load of other peoples mixes. I've never been a big max fan myself, and have probably only listened to the boos ones and Martin's RATW one once.

Expense wise, here in the UK, i picked it up for about £13, which is a £4 more than i payed for the CD, so it's probably worth it,

anyone whos got this DVD, is it worth watching anytime soon??????

pd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2