bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - France - Finland
France - Finland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokeyoliv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 14:19    Post subject: France - Finland Reply with quote

Since December, I now have a good friend sharing my taste in music!
The boy from Finland (so it's true people are living out there!!) astonished at the game "who has the most rarities stuff of the boo radleys" he won!!!

Damned !! (i've always thought it was me !!)

But this nice guy offer me those songs and if you imagine my adoration for the boo radleys it was the best gift for christmas for me.

From my side i saw 4 times the boo lives, but i can't offer a piece of it!!

But with my large collection if original CD (1100!!) I'm sure i'll find something for him!!!

So just wanna say THANK YOU TOMMY BOO !!!!!

& thank you BC for this forum for allowing me (poor little frog-eater) to meet the boo Fans

Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boy from Finland thanks you. Rolling Eyes
Thanks to Sir Melz of Doncaster as well, without him I wouldn't have some of the rarest Boo songs.
Melz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 02:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww shucks. Embarassed

Melz.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another boy from Finland here! I don't have that many rarities, but there are 43 Boo items in my record collection.

I lost touch with the Captain after the Fingertip Saint Sessions (volumes 1 and 2), but seeing that this board has become more active than it used to be, why not make a comeback.
birdman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, now I only need to figure out how to use this thing. Thought I had logged in, oh well...
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, after all those years I've finally found a Boo soul brother in Finland. Wink Fookin' brilliant! Welcome to your new favourite website , just hang around for a while - you'll like it here.
You said you lost touch with Captain Carr after 'the Fingertip Saint Sessions II'... If you haven't heard 'Advertisements For Myself' yet you really have missed a lot! Shocked You probably can't find it anywhere in Finland so you should try Amazon or eBay, but believe me, it's worth it. The best album of 2002 without a doubt, and this is no bullshit.
I can't remember you from the old messageboard, but welcome back. This board isn't always very active either so another regular poster would be great.

Tervetuloa. Rolling Eyes

Idea
birdman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiitos! (Missä päin muuten asut?)

I probably didn't even use the same nick on the old board, so no wonder if you don't remember me.

The reason I lost touch was that I was a bit disappointed with both Fingertip Saint Sessions... I was all excited when I heard that Martin had started making music again, downloaded Exploding The Clocks (I hope I remember the name correctly) and liked it, subsequently ordered both Sessions and waited patiently for months. I don't know what went wrong, but when I finally got the records, they were something of an anti-climax.

I then kind of forgot about the Captain and did not visit this site until the Giant Steps 10th anniversary thingy. Then I spotted a compilation with Better Living Through Reckless Experimentation on sale for 1 EUR and thought I might as well pick it up. And blimey, the track was quite a positive surprise. I haven't got around to listening to the Sessions again yet, but probably will sooner than later. In the meantime I downloaded the Lion EP, but I've just listened to it once so it's too early to comment. I did see Advertisements in a shop in Helsinki not so long ago, I wonder whether they still have it, hmm...

But anyway, thanks for the warm welcome. There already are a few message boards that I frequent (too much free time at work, see...), but I'm sure another one won't hurt. Smile
sparky
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome birdman - from what you say i reckon you will love 'advertisments for myself' - make it your mission to find a copy!
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you will probably love "Advertisments For Myself", it's easily the best album Bravecaptain has released so far. The first two Fingertip Saint Sessions were a bit weird indeed but they just need a bit more time. What's the compilation with 'Better Living Through Reckless Experimentation' called?
I think "I Am A Lion EP" is really good actually - I didn't like it that much at first either but I've learned to like the other songs as well now, not just 'I Pledge Resistance'. But it doesn't sound like AFM or Martin's next album at all I suppose.
And by the way... I live near Salo on the south coast of Finland. That's pretty close to Turku, just in case you don't know. Smile
Vote You

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
I think "I Am A Lion EP" is really good actually - I didn't like it that much at first either but I've learned to like the other songs as well now,

Once again, I completey agree.... the I Am A Lion EP has surprised me with the amount it has grown on me.... I am now loving it as much as AFM, and just seriously can'y wait for what comes next.

vu
xx
birdman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sparky!

What the heck, I decided to dig up the Fingertip Saint Sessions again and give them a spin. The break seems to have done them good, especially Vol. I sounded great (well, except for Starfish maybe). Some of the songs on Vol. II still sound a bit too feeble for my liking, it seems like the Captain's rockier side works better for me.

The compilation with Better Living is called Kill The Popstars, it's nice enough, although I already had quite a few of the tracks before (I Am Kloot, Turin Brakes et.al.). But Better Living itself was so good that I'm now cursing myself for not buying the double 7" when I saw it in Helsinki after it came out. I did seriously consider buying it, but I hadn't heard the song and 10 EUR seemed a bit too much. But not to worry, the same shop still lists Advertisments on its website, so I think I might as well order it soon... (See, that didn't take much convincing! Smile)
birdman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, I do know where Salo is ( Shocked ), although I can't recall having ever visited the city. There are some great record shops in Turku by the way, it has become something of a tradition for me to go shopping there once every summer.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if you're on some messenger or something, I could introduce you to some rare Boo & Bravecaptain stuff and we could talk. You still have to buy AFM though, of course... Laughing You should also buy "Better Living Through Reckless Experimentation EP", it's not that difficult to find if you order stuff online. Don't know about the 7", but there are 3 other great songs on the EP.
Yeah, there are some good record shops in Turku indeed! Kane for example and all the little music shops near the river... I found my first ever Boo Radleys single ("Find The Answer Within") there...
I go to Turku at least once every summer as well and spend all my money on records. Mad hahaha.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way birdy, could you give me some website addresses for Finnish online music stores? I've only ever bought stuff on eBay and it's getting too difficult now because they all expect me to pay with a credit card. Confused
birdman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

No messenger I'm afraid, but how about e-mail for starters:

pekka.kytomaki (at) uta.fi

I think the double 7" had four songs, damn me for not buying it... But I'll keep looking, you never know. 99.9% of the records I own were bought in Finland. I hardly ever order stuff from abroad because I don't have a credit card (which is in fact a blessing - can’t imagine how much I would spend on records if I had one!). Besides, there really isn't a better feeling than going to my local shop and finding a vinyl copy of Blue Day by Slowdive for 7 EUR - can't make bargains like that online. The availability of second-hand Boo records here is surprisingly good too, and the prices are very consumer-friendly to say the least. My first Boo single was What's In The Box?, which cost me 1 FIM (i.e., next to nothing), and I think the last one I found was a 12" Boo! Up EP, for which I paid 4 EUR...

Finnish online stores:

http://www.huuto.net
The Finnish equivalent of eBay. The selection is obviously "not quite as good", but I have made quite a few nice bargains there.

http://www.ariman.fi
The best online source for second-hand music. Again, most of the stuff is nothing special, but every now and then you can make bargains.

http://www.stupido.fi
A rather good selection of new indie.

http://www.platta.net
Probably my favourite local shop. Obviously haven't ordered anything from them online, but I hear they have been quite reliable.

http://www.swampmusic.com
Another local shop, great for second-hand stuff but most of their selection is not listed on the site.

http://www.cdon.com
Quite an extensive selection and reasonable pricing, but their delivery times vary from a few days to months.

These should help you get started... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2