bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Wake Up LP
Wake Up LP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:56    Post subject: Wake Up LP Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been discussed in the past, but what are people's opinions of this LP?

Despite it being martin's most overtly-commercial work, I view it as one of my all-time favourite albums - on a par with Brian Wilson, The Beatles, Love, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors, The Creation, The Byrds and all my other favourite bands.
Bev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Songs like Joel, Martin Doom aren't that commercial - at least not compared to cast and space and whoever else was also bloddy popular then...

Wilder is one the most beautiful songs ever
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it, but I can't choose which one I like the most between "Wake Up", "C'mon Kids" and "Kingsize".

"Find The Answer Within" is a great one off it, as is "Reaching Out From Here". I must take it to work tomorrow...I must have a Boo day tomorrow.

Amor y Paz
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 07:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's brilliant
it's beautiful
it's boo radleys

why everyone always says that "wake up" is commercial? is it just because "wake up boo!" was such a massive hit? bah... for me the term commercial music means something totally different. just turn on MTV if you can and you'll know what i mean. if you can't, call yourself a lucky bastard. or just lucky, whatever...
Bev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading a review of Wake Up BOO the single, before it was out and before anypne knew it would be a hit... saying it was a brave, non-comformist move by a 'guitar indie band' to do a 'happy' trumpet-laden single like that...
smokeyoliv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commercial???
We should know it!!
It's not a teenage-band album !! ! ! ! Shocked
And did you listen to the lyrics ???

Not really commercial, even on wake Up! single

"there is 2 of me inside ...twinside..."

adam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 00:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna get my ass kicked for this Cool ...but what's wrong with something being commercial? I mean, so what if an album "appeals" to millions of people? At least people get to connect to something while their driving in their car. I figure its like art, ya' got the coneisuers (sp?) exhibits and the then big big crowd drawing works of Andy Warhol and Norman Rockwell. I say sell big, we all need someone to hate, so let it be them, if Carr can make it big, so be it. We'll love him, all the latest indie fans will hate him (because he's 'commercial'), but at least he can be sipping his drink of choice without worrying about funds for his next album, tour, vacation, house, etc... Rolling Eyes Wink

"...That's the great thing about perspective. No matter what your perspective is, your always going to act as if you are right. Hitler thought he was right, the Pope thinks he's right, and I know I'm right."
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 03:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Adam. I completely agree with you.
I don't give a f*ck if something's commercial as long as it's good. And "Wake Up" is a good LP. Not everything on the music charts is always necessarily bad, I hate people who think like that and try to be too cool. Tossers. Mad
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I agree Adam, but looking at the 'general people', if they adore something, it must suck, cos a lot of people have really sucky taste...haha.

A lot of music becomes big because it's whored, basically, example, Dandy Warhols with their big Vodafone hit. Martin has already made it clear he does not want to do that with his music, therefore it will be difficult for him to make it, it's a competitive media market. L&P
smokeyoliv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is great with all the boo's LP is that you can ask yourself many question:

Do we need to listen "Ichabod & I"?

Everythins is alright for Ever..; just a begining Lp or the first Masterpiece.

Giant Steps : Masterpiece or masterpiece: what the style of this LP?

Wake Up? Commercial LP or personnel artwork from Martin

C'mon Kids : music for Junkies or another great LP? And what's that Noise?

Kingsize : The achievement or a disaster? Wonderful or uncomprehensible no-succes LP

Blah blah blah !!!

Excatly the interest of a Message Board like this one.

That everybody explain His Personnel Boo experience !!!

Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichabod & I : Pretty awful sound quality, but worth listening to I think. The only problem is that it can be quite difficult to find these days... Especially at a sensible price. And it was only released on vinyl anyway.
Favourite song: Hip Clown Rag

Everything's Alright Forever : Better in every possible way than "Ichabod & I". A good mixture of slow beautiful songs and faster ones. Some people call it shoegazing.
Favourite song: Lazy Day & Song For The Morning To Sing

Giant Steps : Probably the most complicated Boo's album. You probably don't like it on the very first listen, but give it another listen or two (or more like ten) and you'll love it. No wonder all the critics loved it.
Favourite song: Lazarus & Barney (... and me)

Learning To Walk : A nice collection of their early stuff. Sounds very much like "Everything's Alright Forever" which isn't a bad thing at all of course. Sice's voice should be clearer though, you can't hear it very well behind the guitar and drums.
Favourite song: The Finest Kiss

Wake Up! : Ok, here's the 'commercial' album then. It's true that 'Wake Up Boo' was a smash hit of the summer '95 all over Europe, but that's where the resemblances to commerciality end. What a brilliant album.
Favourite song: Stuck On Amber

C'mon Kids : The beginning of Boo's 'commercial downhill'? Maybe, but this was their best album so far in my opinion. This sounds a bit like "Giant Steps" again but even better. Stupid people who didn't buy this will never know what they missed. Bloody tossers. I never really liked 'Fortunate Songs' though. It sounds quite scary.
Favourite song: One Last Hurrah (the best ending track for an album ever )

Kingsize : Ok, I never thought that anything could be better than "C'mon Kids" until I heard this. So absolutely fookin' beautiful from the first track to the last (including the secret track)!! There has never been and will never be an album like this again, Sice's voice is heavenly, lyrics and melodies are unbelievable (in a good way), everything's so well balanced. It's closer to a religious experience than a normal music album. Ok, I probably made myself look like an idiot here, but it's the best album I've ever heard in my life without a doubt. Rolling Eyes
Favourite song: all of them

Idea
Vote You

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
[Ok, I probably made myself look like an idiot here, but (referring to Kingsize) it's the best album I've ever heard in my life without a doubt. Rolling Eyes

Not at all Tommi my friend. I agree 100% about everything you say. I only posted a short while ago with my thoughts on Kingsize. It's just the most astonishingly beautiful album I have ever heard.

vu
xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1