bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - 'A History of Violence'
'A History of Violence'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gillworm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 09:34    Post subject: 'A History of Violence' Reply with quote

Che and myself saw this David Cronenberg film at Holloway Odeon last night...

*gasp*

*gasp*

....'that was weird!'

this is a remarkably well made film, it comes on at times like a conventional thriller but there are so many undercurrents going on that it's both thrilling and thought provoking. the realism makes you realise how much conventional thrillers hold back from showing how it really is when, for example, someone get shot in the head. Cronenberg never revels in showing you the gore but boy oh boy it's shocking! the glimpse is brief but the effect is instant and powerful. the first time there were gasps around the audience and the second time...there were gasps around the audience!
Viggo Mortensen was excellent, a really impressive performance. William Hurt plays on of those psycho characters that are blackly comic, you laugh even while dreading what he might do. and at the end of the film, the violence is there in the room like the proverbial (invisible?) elephant. we saw a trailer beforehand for a film called Lord of War, a Nicholas Cage action thriller, which looked very much in the John Wu Face/Off style, if they showed the violence and bloodshed in that film as realistically as its shown in this film, I reckon audiences would be puking in the aisles!

it's an 18 rating, which is probably fair, but I'd recommend A History of Violence as a great brain tickler.
gillworm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and that's the first time I've seen a 69 in a movie...

Viggo Mortensen? I would!
John Mc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a great film until three quarters of the way through and then lost it a bit.

gillworm wrote:
Viggo Mortensen? I would!

I liked his wife in the film so I'll have her, you can have Viggo and perhaps Tommy Boo can look after the kids. Between us we can help that family get back on its feet.
gillworm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:

I liked his wife in the film so I'll have her, you can have Viggo and perhaps Tommy Boo can look after the kids. Between us we can help that family get back on its feet.

lol, you'll have to fight Che to get her, he leaned over and whispered 'milf! milf!' urgently to me when she appeared....if you liked her acting, you might like to check out 'the Cooler' or old ERs.
che2d2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mc wrote:
I liked his wife in the film

MILF! [/b]
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

che2d2 wrote:
John Mc wrote:

MILF! [/b]

Also. A. Very. Bad. Actress.
che

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinkster wrote:
che2d2 wrote:
John Mc wrote:

MILF! [/b]

Also. A. Very. Bad. Actress.

couldn't give a monkeys about the acting, she was sexy.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

who?
maria bello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww, i wuv oo too che xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just for the record, I thought History Of Violence was good for about 45 minutes, then utter shit for the remainder.

I've never seen such bad acting from William Hurt. Maria Bello was awful, some of the scenes were just crap (oh my wife hates me - let's rape her on the stairs! She'll love it, then hate me afterwards! Let's flash her snatch! It's ok, cos she's really angry at him! Let's turn the Son into a hard bastard just cos Dad killed someone etc etc). Totally overrated.

But it seems to be my point in life to disagree with everyone on here nowadays Wink

KicksUpAStinks
xxx
cheeeeeeeeeee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinkster wrote:
Maria Bello ... Let's flash her snatch!

SEE, IT'S ALL CLEAR NOW!
John Mc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 21:23    Post subject: Re: 'A History of Violence' Reply with quote

gillworm wrote:
we saw a trailer beforehand for a film called Lord of War, a Nicholas Cage action thriller, which looked very much in the John Wu Face/Off style, if they showed the violence and bloodshed in that film as realistically as its shown in this film, I reckon audiences would be puking in the aisles!

Saw Lord of War today, though it was gonna be crap after the first half hour but it got much better as it went on and by the end reached the status of being officially 'quite good'. Maria Bello wasn't in it though, which was obviously a disappointment.
gillworm (lazy)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 09:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems that I've had a Pavlovian reaction to the sight of Nicholas Cage - reviews suggest that the film Lord of War isn't in his usual over the top mindless style, though the reviews also said that they felt the film didn't quite hit the spot it was aiming for. and of course the absence of Maria Bello is lamentable....

watch the Cooler, John.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1