bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Brave Captains Bills Blues
Brave Captains Bills Blues
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciaranm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people want to make a monthly donation to something, they should make it to Amnesty.

I find the concept of monthly donations to Martin weird, patronising, and something I'm sure he wouldn't consider himself.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to think this.
PrincessPunkRock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, you're not the only one thinking that.

x
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
If people want to make a monthly donation to something, they should make it to Amnesty.

I find the concept of monthly donations to Martin weird, patronising, and something I'm sure he wouldn't consider himself.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you as well. Smile I wouldn't use the words weird and patronising though, I think they're quite offensive to people who only try to help anyway!
But you're right, it wouldn't really work like that so we have to think of something else. And by the way, I just gave a little money the other day for some people who were collecting donations for Amnesty. Wink
I would gladly be willing to pay for the stuff Martin has only released on Internet at least though. That wouldn't actually be a donation and in my opinion Martin deserves that.

Idea
bravecaptain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry I've taken a while to post on this.

I don't need money to pay my bills, I am probably better off than most of you in the respect that I own my own house and can survive without a wage. I do have my own personal money worries, I need to figure out how I can earn a regular wage before my boo money runs out (which is what I live on). It's true that I can't really afford to tour with a band or have fancy artwork or spend a fortune on marketing but my main aim is to get my songs out there in whatever form I can, as often as I can. Obviously that would be much easier on a big record label but it's not going to happen, especially in today's climate. Remember I could do adverts or go to college and start again or train to be a brickie or whatever but I choose not to (for the moment). The idea of you lot getting together and coming up with new ideas about how music should be presented is fucking ace and I encourage it and will implement any that are positive and workable for me and for you but please worry about yourselves first. I love you for saying the things you have said and for offering what you have offered but there are many, many other places where your money would be better spent and many other people who would benefit more.

Keep it up though, make it happen.

love

Martin xxx
Plank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone fancies sending me a tenner a month, i will happily send them a newsletter detailing how often in the night i need to get up for a wee (getting older) and what i'm finding to moan about these days. premium subscribers at fifteen quid a month can also send me their laundry.

well at least think about it.

no pride and forever yours,

p.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Martin.
I thought you were going to be a train driver though (WOOH WOOH!)
Maybe one day you will have to swallow your pride and we'll see Wake Up Boo Cornflakes (tm) TV advertisements but I wouldn't give a damn really. I suppose it's different for you though since you've written it.

But keep it up Martin, people who didn't buy AFM don't know what they've been missing. Will there be any gigs before the summer? Smile (ok it might a bit too early to ask)
Vote You

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding a few of the comments above, including Martins (obviously):

I take no offence whatsoever to any of what's been said. Truth being told I have already worried about coming across as patronising, but the idea has stuck with me and has ballooned into something altogether bigger. This is why I posted the new topic about the record label, and I hope some great ideas are contributed to it.

More than anything though, I must bow down, hold my cap in my hand and say, I agree completely that there are better and more important things to spend money on.

thanks
Kris
Forbes Hyphen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Wake Up Boo on a local radio station down in Cornwall last week (followed by something poppy by Neil Young that i can never remember the name and When Love Breaks Down by Prefab Sprout - fuck me the Cornish have some taste on their Golden Oldie stations). The royalties on that'll keep MC going for another hour....
che

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh. spend the money on retirement for that speccy cunt in the halifaxz adverts. please.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:

I agree with that but I just didn't feel like raining on the parade of efficiency and creativity.

It felt strange but also, and this problem I have generally in life, people are starving around the world and I sort of see that as more necessary. Even though I totally manage financially some things I just can't buy for myself because it feels like I'm taking away money from someone who needs it more (don't kid yourselves, I fall sometimes though, I have a digital camera...I don't really NEED it like that).

Since 2001 I've gone to Iran each summer and really see poverty up close, poverty next to insane wealth (huge socio-economic gaps) and there I can actually give money so even though I love what Martin does it feels like until the day he would need money to survive I must concentrate on those who can't survive.
So I'm becoming a woman of action and not just words, I'm setting up a fund to give about the amount mentioned here to some people in Iran...this money will not be wasted on administration etc (it's a housewife who does charity on her own in her 'spare' time). That feels more like money well spent because it can help someone eat meat or have a jacket in the winter.
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Setareh, congratulations.
You're doing that in a bit bigger scale than me in Christmas 2001 when I sold home-made pies and gave 50% of the money for homeless people.
(by the way I ate most of the pies myself)

Anyway, keep up the good work Setareh. This shitty world needs you.
discoRdance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:
You're doing that in a bit bigger scale than me in Christmas 2001 when I sold home-made pies and gave 50% of the money for homeless people.

hehe, that's the complete opposite of what I did a few of when I was about 14 or 15 yrs old --- 24-hour fasts (for charidee)

it's not so easy to knock on nearly every door in the neighbourhood looking for sponsors now, when I'm no longer a kid Rolling Eyes

I'm a bit suprised there wasn't more media coverage of the earthquake in Iran

or maybe I'm not Shocked
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I did quite a lot of door-to-door selling when I was a kid too, but they were all some charity projects arranged by our school (or then we tried to collect money for a school trip or something)
It was quite embarrassing and I hated it but after it was done I felt good even though we never got that much money. Those cookies were pretty damn good though, if some kid who sells those comes knocking on my door I will definitely buy a box or two. Unfortunately those kids aren't probably reading this though...
Haven't heard much of the Iran earthquake either... But I'm not surprised, the media doesn't care because earthquakes aren't cool anymore. It's just war in Iraq now or something.
Setareh Juventina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy BOO wrote:

Hehehe...mmmm...pies! Just to point out, I pick Iran because I have the means to help people directly and not through organizations (otherwise really, any county's population could need help), I don't trust organizations, I don't want some goon at the top of Amnesty having parties for my money when I make less than him/her...cynical? I think I've lived too long and too much not to be.
I try to help organizations through other means, like signing petitions and writing letters on Amnesty's behalf.

I used to feel that it wasn't my job doing charity, that by doing charity I was [symbolically] encouraging corrupt governments depend on me instead of helping their own people. Realistically though, help now is important too, you can't do things for the future alone.

Needs me and needs me, sadly, the more you see and the more you help you realize it really doesn't make much difference in the world either way, sadly.

Oh, and for the original idea of this post, in the culture world (I sit on a board of a culture union) there's always the discussion and teh struggle to prove that culture is indeed something we NEED to survive. People need happiness to survive nearly as much as they need food. Therefore, doing things to preserve good culture is important too.
Like, going back to charity in Iran, this autumn me and mother donated a sum to a woman in Iran whose daughter was getting married. Now a wedding is a big deal in Iran and if you have money you can have more people and it can be nicer. First I thought 'well, that's not really a necessity to help with' but then it struck me 'is it only the right of the wealthy to have beautiful, happy days of love?' well it's not, so I did it.

I'll stop ramblind. L&P
ciaranm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually a great topic.

I think it has throen up good ideas, and I didn't mean to offend anyone above, but I'm glad my comments opened it up a bit.

Bravecaptain has some great fans, and ideas like bombarding dj's and promoting his music in other ways, like submitting online reviews, reccomending bc to friends etc etc, are great. The idea of paying household bills though didn't gell with me...for reasons Martin outlined himself.

Anyway, BC will release a hit record.....mark my words!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2