bravecaptain.co.uk :: View topic - Brave Captains Bills Blues
Brave Captains Bills Blues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vote You

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 23:35    Post subject: Brave Captains Bills Blues Reply with quote

How many people on here are willing to pay a monthly donation (I'm personally thinking 10-20 quid) towards keeping Martin in the Music Business?

Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm not serious about this btw......

vu
xx
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 00:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 quid a month... That would be quite ok for me, but 20 quid?! That's lots of money... That makes 240 quid a year and that's... well... quite a lot. (for me at least) Not a bad idea though, but not everyone would be willing to pay anyway so it would be unfair for those who pay. Unless Martin dedicated a song for us or something! haha Rolling Eyes

This little song is actually from the next Bravecaptain EP, "Donations For Myself". Watch this space. Rolling Eyes

Messageboard Blues

oh tommy boo, thanks for your money /
now i can buy more drugs for me & my honey
i know boo radleys is your favourite band /
so we're gonna reform and come play to your land

and you too kris, you're a top fella /
if we meet somewhere i'll buy you one stella
oh kris oh kris, you are so ace /
cos of you i've been writing this song for days

[CHORUS x 3] (sice & martin together)
donations donations
gimme gimme money
that would be very funny
oh donations

music by bravecaptain
lyrics by tommy boo

Idea
adam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 01:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya' know, I was thinking the same kinda thing myself. I've been scouring eBay for used cds from a boken up band. They get no money from it. I would rather see my fav. "indie" (for back of better term) bands just make cdr's, screw the album artwork and I'll mail e'm the full price cd for it. That's just me though. I can't afford a monthly donation, but I'd be more than willing to send some cash incentives so Mr. Carr can still go to the pub, come back a lil' high and write some kicking tunes...I guess you would would then say the next drink is on me Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saled for 10 Euros !!

But need Guarantee.
1 LP every 2 years
3 double EP from each Lp
and 1 tour in France for each LP (Only Clermont-Ferrand it will be enough.)

So ???????????? Question Question Question

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oupss !! Well I guess you knew who is writing in blues now Wink
smokeyoliv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do You Question Question
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokeyoliv wrote:
Do You Question Question

Ouais. Rolling Eyes
Vote You

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we are all getting ahead of ourselves Smile

If everyone one this board was to pay a monthly donation of my suggested amount it would not even be close to enough to fund recording production and distribution of a records by Martin.

The money would basically go towards Martin paying his bills, so he can carry on concentrating on Music and not have to get a 9-5. It's still down to a record company to actually sign him and distribute his work Rolling Eyes

I'm no fan of asking for anything in return either. Just the knowledge of helping Martin continue making music and for me to be able to hear it is more than enough Smile

Anyway. I'm thinking of setting up a paypal type site, not just for Brave Captain, but for all artists, musical or otherwise, who have fans, but who struggle to continue their art on a daily basis. This way people can make donations whenever they feel they can, monthly or otherwise.

I'll let you know what happens, as I have promised shit like this before and you all know my track record on them Wink

vu
xx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote You wrote:
OK, we are all getting ahead of ourselves Smile

<snip>The money would basically go towards Martin paying his bills, so he can carry on concentrating on Music and not have to get a 9-5. It's still down to a record company to actually sign him and distribute his work Rolling Eyes
vu
xx

Or perhaps not....

I think I've mentioned this before but Marillion funded the recording of their last album by getting fans to pre-order it. This meant that they had ownership of the recordings (something most bands don't) and complete artistic freedom. They have now recorded another album by this method, except this time fans pay slightly more for a double CD and hardback 128 page booklet and help fund a world tour and all the promotion that it entails.
A few years ago a group of their American fans set up a tour fund when the band announced that they couldn't afford to tour there. This raised enough to get the band over there and tour. It was this that gave rise to the pre-order idea.

I think that this is the way forward for "smaller" artists that record companies no longer want to bother with. It probably gives a better deal for the artist too as they have freedom to do what they like as well as, more importantly, owning their own recordings. As Martin said in his recent Q&A, the old Boos recordings are nothing to do with him.

The original pre order idea
http://www.marillion.com/news/2000/1606.html
http://www.marillion.com/news/2000/2706.html
http://www.marillion.com/news/2000/1508.html

The new album campaign.
http://www.marillion.com/marbles/index.html -

Whatever you think of Marillion musically, their strategy to keep themselves in the business of making music seems to be a good one.
Dubya - T

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippin' Log In shenanigans.... Evil or Very Mad
I wrote the above message,

Anyone think it's the way forward Question
Tommy BOO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good idea. At least I would be willing to pre-order the new album if it helps Martin. Smile
smokeyoliv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 08:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Do I !!!
If it can be useful.

I think there is ideas to dig from this message, 'cause it could be a good response to the majors!!

We help the independant artists, prouving that thier music is real good music and not only a commercial product.

We love them because it's artwork and not fashion....

So much, so much to say ............

Vote You

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 08:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea. However, I don't think the 20-30 people on here pre-ordering a CD from Martin is going to be anywhere near enough money. Remember, in their day, Marillian were fucking MASSIVE Rolling Eyes

vu
xx
ciaran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a good idea.
Vote You

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

All views appreciated......... but why?

vu
xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bravecaptain.co.uk Forum Index -> bravecaptain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2